Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Monkey Business at Qianling Shan Park

I took the girls to Qianling Shan Park today.  Annie wasn’t feeling well, so it was the three of us.  There are some very interesting things to note about this park.  Number one, it’s on a mountain.  Number two, there is a beautiful lake in the park.  Number three, there is a Buddhist temple on the grounds of the park.  Number four is the biggie.  The middle section of the park is overrun by monkeys.  This park has monkeys like we have squirrels back home.  The girls though that it was really cool.  Me too.  It may be a shock, but I’ve never had an opportunity to hang out with a bunch of monkeys.  Other than at work, I mean.  :  )

 

The drive to the park was just long enough that Mia started to get antsy.  She dropped a couple of “are we there yet” bombs on me.  Once we saw the first monkey, it was game on.  Kennedy had been to the park before, but she still had a good time.  Mia was as fascinated as I have ever seen her.  No matter where we looked, there were monkeys running, jumping, playing or eating.  When we first arrived, a pair of smallish monkeys started to play.  They squealed like bad brakes and I thought that Mia was going to climb Kennedy.  There was no danger, but it scared the heck out of her.  I explained to her that monkeys play like dogs do and make a lot of noise.  That made enough sense that she calmed down. 

 

It might have been nice to feed them, but it would be my luck that we would get the rabid freak monkey and somebody would get a fantastic bite.  Probably me.  At one point today, I got about a foot away from a medium-sized guy and it made our guide nervous.  I don’t know if the monkey gave me the eye, or what, but Richard told me to be careful.  So…I backed up immediately.  I did not want to be breaking news on CCTV tonight.

 

 

 

No comments: