Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Big Decision

Well, I was all set to go enroll Kennedy in 7th grade at our neighborhood Junior High School Monday.  Only...I got a feeling deep in my soul on Sunday night that it would be the wrong placement for her at this time.  I could not shake it.

In Texas, her age actually places her in 8th grade.  NOT gonna happen, friends!  High School after only one semester in school in a new country...I don't think so!!!!  Before we left for China, I had arranged to place her in 7th grade instead.

When we received her school records in China, she was only a few months in to 6th grade there.  She arrived at the orphanage at the age of 7, so she began school about 2 years late.  She is VERY intelligent, but without any English, I started to realize how truly difficult it would be at first.

After getting to know her better over the last 3 weeks, I KNOW that changing classes all day and "little things" like changing clothes in front of other kids for P.E. etc. would be overwhelming for her.  The BIGGEST issue was that Charles leaves around 6 a.m. for work, and Mia and I leave at 7:15 at the latest.  Kennedy's bus would pick up at about 8 a.m.  Houston...we have a problem!!!  After newly arriving in this country and facing a mountain of changes and adjustments....she would also have to get out of the house alone and on the bus every morning.  My mommy-self knew that was a BAD plan, but there was no other option.

I talked to the principal at my school Sunday night via email about enrolling Kennedy at my school, where Mia also attends, for the one remaining semester of this school year.  She told me to bring in Kennedy's records Monday morning and she would have the registrar look in to what our options would be.  She also offered to make a call to the "powers that be" if necessary.

Long story short, we all agreed that it would be in Kennedy's best interest to enroll at my school in 5th grade for the remainder of this school year while she learns some English and becomes more familiar with American school culture.  5th grade at our school is self-contained, meaning Kennedy will be with one teacher all day and not deal with constantly switching classes!!  Also, Elementary teachers have the opportunity to be more loving and have a better opportunity to REALLY get to know their students well since they are together all day.

We are placing her in the class of a WONDERFUL teacher who immediately emailed me about how excited she is that Kennedy will be in her class!  She has experience with non-English speaking students!  She asked which dialect Kennedy speaks so she can do some research over the holiday break coming up!  She also asked permission to share some appropriate info with her current students to prepare them for their new classmate, Kennedy!  (She will begin on January 4th, after the 2 week holiday break.)  She is going to have her students research info about Kennedy's region of China.  She is also going to ask our PTO president, who speaks Chinese, if she would like to volunteer and work with Kennedy!!!!  We will send the hand-held translator to school each day with Kennedy to use with her teacher as needed.  I am also going to send a box of Mandarin Chinese vocabulary cards with the English translation on back to school for her ESL and/or classroom teacher to use with her.  The cards are meant to teach Chinese, but can easily be used in reverse!

I can not tell you how relieved I feel about this decision!  Her teacher is a true God-send to Kennedy and our family!  Kennedy will ride safely to school with Mia and me each morning, and hang out in my classroom with Mia after school each day while I finish up my work to head home!!!  She will be in the same building with her mom and little sis all day, and learn English in a loving, supportive environment!!

Next year, I will move her to our neighborhood school.  At that time, she will have a fair amount of English mastered.  The school district can test her then and we can make a decision on the best age-appropriate grade placement for her at that time.  I am sure she will end up in at least 7th or 8th by then, but for now, she will be right where she needs to be!!!!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

That's fantastic!! I was wondering how she would transition so quickly with middle school kids. I think God has led you in the right direction. Can't wait to meet Miss Kennedy!!

jhand said...

Sounds like a great arrangement for all of you. I have enjoyed going back to follow your trip from the beginning.

Sue said...

I think that is a wonderful decision. Our original plan changed after we got home and feel it worked for the better.

Mike and Barb said...

That sounds like a very sensitive solution. I'm glad you have peace over it!
Barb