Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'm burnin' for you...

We did not know it when we started our paperwork, but the locals in  Guizhou province like a lot of hot & spicy food.  Our daughter is no exception.  On our last day in Guiyang, she was eating some noodles and she noted that they were hot.  Actually, they were cold noodles, but they were very spicy.  I was curious about what she was eating, so I got some of the same noodles.  They looked completely harmless, so why not?  She giggled at me before I even got my plate.  That should have been the first clue, but I’m a slow learner.  Didn’t I do this once already?

 

I got several bites of noodles and a small bowl of bread pudding.  Just in case.  I took bite number one.  No biggie.  What’s the big deal.  Bite number two.  I’m not seein’ a problem.  Bite number three.  Kennedy grabs her plate and takes off before we can stop her.  She comes back with a red pepper ring.  It looks like a serrano with a fresh coat of red paint.  That’s the first point where I knew that I had gotten in over my head.  She puts in on my plate.  Bite number four.  Hey, what’s that?  Bite number five.  WOW!  There’s the pepper.  Bite number six.  Ummm….why can’t I feel my lips anymore?  My mouth was generally okay, but my lips tingled for about half an hour.  I gotta say, that’s never happened before.  I actually had to wipe my forehead after less than two minutes.

 

I learned my lesson yesterday.  However, I will probably go for it again the next time.  I can’t let a thirteen year old defeat me.  ;  )

 

No comments: