Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pork vein, pig feet and goose liver...

Sorry, I may have just thrown up a little in my mouth just typing that subject!  We ate dinner at the nice, fancy hotel buffet tonight.  Mia could barely find anything she could/would eat.  I ordered hot tea for Charles and I , and that is also what they served Mia.  Umm...waited to try and order her the milk from breakfast again, but no luck.  She is a real trooper.  She actually drank some of it and didn't complain!
 
I ate the best steamed rice with red bell pepper that I have ever had, some noodles, steamed bread and some very fancy little delicious sweet treats!  But I could not eat most of what was offered.  There were 2 kinds of fungus...yes, I said fungus, to choose from, pork vein, pig and I THINK goose feet, squid...I did not recognize much at all.  Because we stick out like a sore thumb, one of the servers came over and gave us a little plate with...I DO NOT KNOW WHAT on it.  We smiled and thanked her.  She said, "This is free."  It was a very gracious gift.  I truly wish I could have forced myself to try it, but seriously, I could not really even look at it.  Charles ate half of it.  I told him we needed to leave before they offered us more kindness.  Too late.  She was back again with two plates, informing us it was goose liver.  I was as nice as possible and did my best to communicate that I was full.  Charles even passed on that.  I felt awful for turning it down, but she took it very well.  The second she walked away, I took Mia and left poor Charles behind in the dust to pay.  Who knows what else we would have been offered and I did not want to be rude or ungrateful by continually saying no thank you. We ate all of our dinners with our guide last time, and he ordered only things we would recognize and eat, for the most part.  We have been on our own so far, and that is proving to be...shall I say...risky!  I am going to pass the computer off to Charles now so he can tell you the crazy stuff he consumed tonight!!
 
Well....I had some normal food, like rice and noodles.  I also had steamed goose feet, pig's feet, thai squid and ahem, pork vein with chiles.  I ate something that I can only describe as a purple dried sweet potato.  I'm not 100% sure if it was animal or vegetable.  It was not my favorite dish.  At the end, the thing that Annie mentioned came out.  I am fairly certain that it was some sort of intestine on bread with blueberries.  Also, not my favorite.  It was not good, not bad.  It just "was."  The curried pork spare ribs were extremely tasty, as was the duck breast with apple cinnamon.  There was a soup with something that looked like it may have been mushrooms in it.  I'm not sure if it was good or bad.  It tasted like it had oranges in the base.  I have to say that the squid was burning hot.  It looked harmless, but had I eaten one more bite, I would have needed to lick the fire extinguisher.  It was all tasty...okay not all.  But I enjoyed it.
 
Some of you can imagine Annie's distrust of the intestine-looking thing.  I tried to guilt her into eating it by telling her that it was a gift.  Ummm...no.  Not gonna happen.  Next time, we'll go back to the a la carte menu for safety.  :  )
 
See you tomorrow.  I'm sure that we'll post something before the main event.  Good night.

No comments: