Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Kennedy Faith update...

Gosh, I just posted 2 "make-up" pics below, and here I am posting WITHOUT a picture AGAIN!  Truth be told, Kennedy avoids the camera like the plague, just like her mama! 

Speaking of her mama...Kennedy has come a LONG way in a FEW days!  Again, let me say that overall, she is a JOY, and VERY easy.  I had recently posted that she is not typically affectionate, and was not used to calling us (or anyone) Mom and Dad.  I had a stern talk with her last weekend, and my sweet friend, PTO president and volunteer tutor for Kennedy went back over EVERYTHING with her from that conversation for me in Mandarin Chinese last week.

I am here to report that she made a complete turn-around this week!!  She is calling me mom or mommy several times a day.  A few days ago, I tucked little notes away in the girls' rooms that said, "I love you Mia/Kennedy.  Love, Mom."  Kennedy found hers today and came up to me with the cutest little grin as she handed me a note that said, "I love you too, Mom.  Love Kennedy."  Then, she hugged me on her own again!  There have been several spontaneous hugs from her in the recent days!!  YIPPEE!!!!!

I also showed her how to feed the dogs and dust and vacuum her room this week.  She does both willingly and well.  Mia decided she wanted to dust too.  I told them that I am considering a chore chart/schedule for them that MAY allow them to earn a SMALL allowance.  I am not a huge believer in paying my kids to do the things they just SHOULD do as members of a family.  However, I NEVER received allowance as a kid...even though I had plenty of chores.  All of my friends did less and got an allowance.  It always bothered me.  I think I am more willing to give them a LITTLE something because of that.  Silly, I know.  But it will also teach them a work ethic and make the connection that money is earned...not typically just given.  It has not been worked out yet.  I CAN say that having less cleaning to do myself and getting back a little time to maybe sit down once in a while just might be worth 5 or 10 bucks each here and there.

I have an upcoming staff development day when the kids are off for Presidents' Day.  I have had a BIG struggle finding anyone who will watch the girls for me.  Most people will not keep kids over the age of 12.  My family all works, and/or expects me to pay them to hang out on my couch with family all day... (NOT you, Mom!  I know you just can not get the day off, and would do it for free if you could!)

Anyway, I finally found someone who is willing.  It is not free, but she is not family, so it is OK.  Kennedy said SHE would watch Mia.  I explained to her that while she IS old enough to babysit, she does not know enough English yet.  She needs to be able to call 911 in the event of an emergency, etc.  I told her as soon as she is speaking more English, I will have her watch Mia for me.  She got really excited!  Then I told her that I would also have friends who would PAY her to babysit for them once she is speaking English.  She was shocked and amazed!!!  I think we found a new motivation for lighting a fire under the language learning!!

Kennedy has a new found fascination...SCIENCE.  In particular...the solar system.  She had NEVER been taught anything about that in China somehow.  She is CRAZY for it!  She is soaking it up like a sponge!  I gave Charles a telescope several years ago for Christmas.  He dusted it off and set it up for her Friday night.  She was literally jumping up and down and squealing in excitement!  She said she wants to be an astronaut or scientist now!  Go Kennedy!

Anyway, long story short, Kennedy must have just needed to be TOLD how we feel and what we expect from her...thanks to the advice of Angie Kennedy!  It has made a world of difference, and I feel closer to her each day.

Today, I took her shopping for earrings.  It was well beyond the time that she could finally take out the original earrings from getting her ears pierced in December!  She had so much fun picking them out!  She thought she was picking one pair, and I kept saying she could choose more.  She was smiling from ear to ear, but stopped at 3 pair.  She had some trouble taking out the piercing pair.  She is not good with ANY pain, and it hurt a little.  BUT, she loved putting new earrings in.  The only thing she HAD to have was a pair of cross earrings.  She searched hard to find a pair at Kohl's, but finally did.  She also chose some silver stars and some fairly big silver hoops...super cute!

We are doing the work, and bonding more every day!  Keep up the prayers! 

3 comments:

Angie said...

You go girl!!! Great blog, great job!

Sue said...

Things I have learned with Erin, sometimes you just need to tell them this is how it is and take baby steps that way. It sounds like Kennedy is getting the hang of it.
We started allowance too, I wasn't real wild about it, but felt that it would help the 4 girls, Erin earn something of her own and being more resposible (she cleans awesome now and even told her sisters to clean up) and allow her to buy things as she earns....she gets 10 dollars a week but has to give me 5 to put in the bank. I am glad things are going well again.

Lindsey M. said...

Such great news! Love the "make-up" pics too, that cute little jump roper!

I think having them both help out around the house is awesome. If Mia is anything like she is at school I know she will do an excellent job! I agree, if that gives you a little extra time to relax and enjoy your family, go for it!