Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The hardest time of day...

Sorry, there will again be no pictures.  Charles and the girls are out getting an ice cream at KFC in my favorite Walmart again, and getting more batteries for the camera.  We have burned through an entire value pack already!  I am not a fan of Walmart, and THIS time around, I want to be sure our newest family member HAS to rely on her dad as much as me!  We did not do that with Mia, and she would not go to him for a solid month.  To this day, she is a mommy’s girl and likes to tell Charles she loves me better than him.  Not the nicest thing to say, but he is used to it.  I want to set Kennedy up to see us as equally as possible!  I am careful not to use the translator as much as him so she needs him for communication.  It has really seemed to work, as she is at ease with him and goes willingly on these daddy-daughter outings!

 

Anyway, the middle of the day here is super hard for me.  As I type, it is 2:20 in the morning back home.  NOBODY is awake to leave comments on the blog or email me.  I CRAVE contact from home!  I am super homesick! 

 

There is another family here adopting a 2 and a half year old from Kennedy’s orphanage.  They are from California.  The mom speaks Chinese, not sure about dad.  Therefore, they have been much more adventurous in seeking out food options other than the OVERPRICED hotel restaurant we have been stuck with.  They invited us to join them in a cab ride to either a Papa John’s or a Pizza Hut tonight, I can’t remember which.  We are IN, dude!!  I am sure it will be a little different, but closer to food we are used to.  I would knock someone over right about now for a burger and fries from Culver’s back home!!!   OOOHHH….also some beef fajitas!!!  OH YEAH!!!  I also look forward to eating healthy, “normal” food in my own home, which will now feel HUGE to me after being on top of each other in this hotel!!!!!   It is a mess in here, and I do NOT do messes well!!!  There is no choice, because we have too much stuff and suitcases piled up.  UGH!!!!

 

The mom from Cali told me at an outing to the local museum today (Charles will post pics and info about that later) that watching us with Kennedy makes her think that adopting an older child would be really positive.  She said they may consider that later down the line.  She also said she was going to tell all of her well established married friends without kids to consider it!  On so many levels it is WAY easier than adopting a little one!!!  There are DIFFERENT hard things, but overall…an AMAZING experience.  I usually have to tell Mia 3 or 4 times to do something.  With Kennedy, for example, all I have to do is point to her towel at night and say your turn, and she runs to take a shower immediately!!!  We don’t even know what to do with ourselves!!!!  She is so thoughtful and always helping.  I wish more people would give these amazing older girls a family of their own!  I recommend Small World Adoption agency if you are considering it!!

 

Kennedy continues to amaze us with her kindness, talent and intelligence!  I think she will learn English very quickly!  We received her Chinese report card with ALL “Excellent” marks.  She picks up on things super fast.  Gosh, we love her to pieces!!!!!

 

Tomorrow, we will leave for the orphanage visit around 11am.  We let Kennedy buy some candy to pass out to her friends when we visit.  We told her on the translator today that we will leave this city tomorrow after that visit.  I told her it was ok to feel sad about that and we understand. She nodded and smiled.  I asked her to pick out what she will wear tomorrow so we could pack the rest in preparation for travel.  She watched me closely and then began helping me, of course.  We have the room about 80% packed up, and will pack more after tonight’s round of showers.  BTW, Kennedy seems to enjoy taking a shower every night.  That was not possible in the orphanage where they can only shower a few times a week.  Some older children are resistant to showering daily, but the way she takes her time in there tells me she is not one of them!!  I also think she enjoys wearing her hair down every day.  It is gorgeous!  She needs a good trim, but I will worry about that later.   I can’t wait to take her for a pedicure!!  I had to tell her that we will send our clothes out if necessary to be washed because that sweet girl hand washed her underwear at first.  I told her I packed her about 18 pair!!!!  She looked at me like I was crazy, but like she was excited about that!!

 

Funny note, when she saw the cross tattoo on my lower back the other night, she gasped in shock and smiled HUGE!  Bet she didn’t see THAT coming!!!  (For those of you who do not know me as well, I have a wilder side…so do NOT ask Corrie about my 40th birthday!!!)

 

In closing, I want to share that another precious family here in China to adopt a 13 year old daughter had an unexpected, terribly sad event occur.  Their daughter changed her mind and decided NOT to agree to being adopted.  Once a child is 10, they have a say in being adopted or not.  We posted pics of Kennedy signing paperwork stating she wanted to be our daughter. We also included it in the gotcha video.  Their daughter signed that she did not.  They are devastated, and are leaving immediately to go home without the daughter they have loved, prayed and waited for.  Please pray for comfort for this family.  My heart breaks for them, and I cannot even begin to express my sorrow for them.

 

Sending hugs to all from China.  Now hurry and wake up so you can leave a comment or email me!!!!  ;)

No comments: