Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chillin' on a Sunday afternoon

I just mopped my way out of the house, so I am enjoying the cool breeze and shade of our back porch on a patio chair while I wait for the floor to dry.  I just looked over to see my girls relaxing on the porch swing! It does not get any better than this! Later, Charles will grill some dinner and I think we will just have to eat out here on the porch!  We got a table and some chairs a few weeks ago on sale, and it seems like a perfect day to put them to good use!

I am seeing such a big change in Kennedy! She is more comfortable in her own skin with each day and speaking more and more English.  She is embracing American culture happily, while retaining her Chinese culture as well. It is a fine balance, but one we work hard to achieve. We are sure to provide as many opportunities as we can for her to participate in Chinese cultural events, be around other Chinese people, eat traditional foods, etc. We are not perfect, but we know we are doing our best to raise both Mia and Kennedy to embrace both Chinese AND American culture.

Unfortunately, I occasionally run into a rude person here and there who puts their uninformed two cents in! On Friday, one such person implied...well really outright said...that we are not doing enough to maintain Kennedy's Chinese culture.  Really??? Funny, she does not know us at all and has no idea how far out of our way we go to do just that! People like that have a narrow focus and never stop to think that OUR girls' experiences in China were actually much more negative than positive. Orphans are not treated equally in that culture. I will not even go in to those upsetting details!  BUT, people need to realize that when you are raising children adopted from another culture, it is just as important for them to know and embrace American culture as well as their own cultural heritage.  After all...they are American citizens, and they are being loved, cherished and cared for by their American mommy and daddy.  Those are two very important things Chinese culture certainly did not offer them.

So, as I step back down off my soap box, I will close with the fact that this is America. We are all free to raise our kids the way we feel is best. When raising kids who are adopted internationally...that may look a little different. I don't go around telling people how to raise their kids...so I hope others will keep their unsolicited, untrue, offensive advice to themselves!

Yes, I DO feel better now!  ;)

2 comments:

Mary said...

You go girl! It is evident to the majority that your daughters have been truly blessed with TWO WONDERFUL PARENTS and such a wealth of experiences!!

Sue said...

We are definately chilling here in MN, with more snow on its way. I have gotten used to the rude comments, don't like them and have started coming up with quick come backs and so have the girls.