Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

I know..I know!!!

...It has been too long since the last post!  I am telling you, I am pretty sure there are no longer 24 hours in a day, because I run out of time constantly!

I have been sick for several days.  I actually had to stay home on Friday.  Mia was excited...it meant she would be a "car-rider" at school and get picked up out front instead of leaving with her mom, the teacher, out the back door.  Kennedy seemed a bit confused and nervous when I dropped them off and did not go in as usual.  She survived, though.  It is probably a good thing that she saw that I left, and came back, if ya know what I'm sayin'.  It's all a process.

Sick and all, I loaded up on antibiotics and cold meds to head to China Town in Houston yesterday for a Families with Children from China lunch.  I thought Kennedy's first trip there would be very exciting for her and that she would light up seeing all the signs in Chinese, eating familiar foods, hearing her native language...WRONG.  She seemed to get in a strange, quiet mood immediately upon arrival.  She looked down right uncomfortable at some points during lunch.  We were supposed to join our group to shop for Chinese New Year decorations and Chinese dresses for the girls to wear when Chinese New Year actually arrives.  We ditched that plan, spent a few minutes in a Chinese book store (with no luck) and ran into the Chinese grocery store for some Chinese snacks.  We headed back to our neck of the woods a couple hours before originally planned.

It was strange...the closer we got to home, the happier Kennedy appeared.  I don't know if she is just trying really hard to learn English and American culture that the trip to China Town threw her off her game or what.  Very interesting, though.

We stopped at Petco to help our pet rescue friend, Beth, at the weekend adoption sight.  Kennedy was in Heaven!  She now LOVES dogs!  This has been our second trip to help Beth since we brought Kennedy home.  We stayed for more than 2 hours at least.  I actually found families for 2 dogs myself, and a total of 6 dogs got adopted yesterday!!  That is REALLY good!  Kennedy found a special friend, Oscar, who slept in her lap for 45 minutes straight.  I think she expected to bring him home.  I found a home for him.  Close one!  ;)


Here are the few pictures Charles got on his phone of the girls hangin' with the dogs yesterday.  They are not the best quality, but everyone reminds me regularly they want to see pictures!!!  ;)








Anyway...later today, we will have our first post-adoption visit from our social worker.  I believe this time, 3 are required.  We have to provide pictures and monthly updates to her when she comes, along with info from any doctor appointments we may have had.  Over the first year, China wants 3 reports, including the pictures, to be sure we are taking good care of Kennedy and that she is thriving in America.  She truly is, so no worries!!

I just finished painting Kennedy's toes red for her for the occasion.  She LOVES having her toes painted.  While I was painting, she pointed to her toes and said, "Pretty!  In China...no."  She was indicating that she could not paint her toes in China.  She also pointed to her pierced ears, done the week we arrived home, and said those were not allowed either.  She seems to truly enjoy the little things like earrings, painted toes, different clothes to wear each day, cute and cozy jammies, long, hot showers every day...  When I see things through HER eyes, I realize how fortunate all of us are here in America, and just how VERY MUCH we take for granted!

No comments: